Sunday, September 6, 2009

Gemsbok sketch I made in my travel journal while in safari '98 Kenya.




- Posted using Mobypicture.com

I wish I'm as free spirited as I was before travelling the globe with pen and camera whenever I want to. One of the last few divine visits I did with a good buddy Arjun was to Kenya for 3 weeks where we ventured around the region on our own with locals whom we met through friends. It was free and easy then. Its bizarre how we come about to plan that trip. I remember clearly flipping through the magazines in the periodical section in Borders Singapore. We caught ourselves picking up the wildlife magazine and was amazed on how much we just wanted to experience it. Helping with the train of thought, we both have either friends or family who is linked one way or another to animals, zoo, and thus the very safari in Africa.

He called his uncle who works for the anti-poaching unit in Ghana. I called my friend Bernard Harrison who was then the Executive Director for Singapore Zoological Gardens. We got advise from them about plans for this adventure and the ticket was set in no time. I took 3 weeks off work and we were destined for Nairobi. We don't know where we staying yet. But they'd be friends of friend who used to study together in Coventry College. Fine we said.

No comments:

Post a Comment