Saturday, September 5, 2009

"De Vrijheid Blijft" Book dedicated to Anja and me. NYC 9/11




- Posted using Mobypicture.com

Dear friend and author Frank published the book back in '02. I would have loved to read it freshly off the shelf, but I didn't know a single Dutch word then. We were even more surprised that the book was printed and dedicated to us. Well, there's always the inside story that makes it even more personal. I guess providing one with a safe shelter post 9/11 in NY means more today, than it would have been before. The book shares the shock, fear, anger and puzzled feelings we had. Like the others that was interviewed for their excerpts on the event of 9/11, we had our own. My wife was 6 months pregnant and stuck in Manhattan while I was kept out at Holland Tunnel while trying to get into NYC. Port Authority locked down all its linking routes in or out of Manhattan as security procedure. Try put yourself in my shoes, in non-moving traffic with your mobile phone not in service, desperate to know of your pregnant wife's well being. Thank god. We came out unscathed. But few friends lost their loved ones. Our hearts goes out to them and the fallen heroes every calendar year on the very date.

But that's what this book is about. Post thoughts of everyday New Yorkers about what they think happened there. How it affected their lives. What they saw, heard and thought 6 months after. Some of the shorts doesn't even have anything to do with 9/11, but just general voice of various NY living in post. Its a good short read which is not too taxing on my Dutch language I guess. Plus I'm long due to tell Frank what I thought about it. How he's brought back the lost souls. How we've all been deceived. How greed manipulates facts against truth.

A summary of the written book can be read in Dutch on biblion.nl website. OK let me get back to my book. It'll be almost 8 years now. Repercussions still within.

Language: Dutch
Format: Paperback
Dimensions: 8 x 5.2 x 0.4 inches
Weight: 7.7 ounces
ISBN 10: 9051790570
ISBN 13: 9789051790573

No comments:

Post a Comment